All available positions have been filled. We may keep qualified applications on file for future consideration.
We work with the most amazing team of people worldwide via our virtual team. We work with editors who are native American English speakers who can proofread and correct documents using American spelling while helping the document read like butter.
This job is fully remote and perfect for someone who enjoys proofreading and making things easier to read!
Editorial Job Description
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in WordPress, have experience using task management software ClickUp, and be well organized and attentive to detail.
Some things I have in mind for you to do in the immediate future include:
- Proofreading articles
- General appearance and formatting
- Spelling (American)
- Content flow and basic fact-checking
Rewrites should be minimal and focused on syntax errors most commonly found with our ESL writers. Editors should be familiar with the writing SOPs and guidelines in our handbook.
TBD – We’ll ask for your hourly rate on the form below. Please let us know how much you need to be paid for this to be worth it to you long-term. We want this to be a long-term, win-win situation.
Other Editor Requirements
- Excellent English Speaking / Writing Skills
- Valid Government ID
- Submit proper tax forms (if hired)
- Stable Internet Connection
- Working Computer with at least 8GB RAM
- Excellent Organizational Skills with attention to detail
- Motivated Self-Starter
- Have a good work-life balance: work when and where you want. As long as the work gets done, we don’t care whether you work days, nights, at home, or at the beach.
- Get paid weekly. We believe in paying our team members for their contributions. We work with our team members directly for this to be a sustainable, long-term working relationship.
- Opportunity to advance. We want to work with you long-term! We are open to giving raises and bonuses.
- Honest communication and expectations. We believe in honesty and transparency. We’ve got perks, expectations, and everything else in a handy dandy PDF team handbook. We share that with candidates during the hiring process so that nothing will be a surprise.
- Freedom from micromanagement. Team members have a central project dashboard to help prioritize and manage workload independently.
- Plenty of support and an SOP playbook (standard operating procedures). We want this to be a win-win scenario, so we’ve got every task and project’s steps outlined in our SOP manual. Many of our SOPs also have video tutorials.
Team Levels and Schedules
Work your ideal schedule. Here are the team levels and schedules we offer.
- Project-based: under 10 hours per week for a set project
- Part-time: 10 to 20 hours per week
- Full-time: 20 to 35 hours per week
- Team leads: 35 plus hours weekly
Here is how we designate the various levels of editors on our team. These are in-house terms. They do not affect an editor’s status as a freelancer.
- Editor in training: Editors in the sandbox fit-testing stage will only have access to the Sandbox dashboard. Fit-testing is two-way testing to ensure that we all want to play and work together long-term.
- Team Editor: Team editors are valued members of the content team.
- Editorial Team Leaders: Team leaders work with other editors and the writing teams.
- Editor-in-Chief: This is the manager of the editorial team. They work with the production, branding, and management teams.
Why Work with Us
We want to improve our corner of the world – and then, one day, the whole world. We work towards that by focusing on our values:
- Knowledge and empathy lead to wisdom and freedom.
- Individuals can become a cohesive, cooperative community where everyone benefits.
We run a small network of sites and blogs that support these values by providing readers with free, quality, well-researched, and factual information on various topics.
We encourage you to apply if this is the kind of team you want to work for and with.
Steps to Apply for the Job
- Do a happy dance. This step is optional but fun.
- Fill out the form below. This will get you added to our system. We will reach out to qualified candidates for interviews on an ongoing basis as our team has openings.
- In the form below, we ask you if there was a tagline. The answer to that question is tacos.
- Please fill out the whole form and attach any pertinent work samples.
Selected applicants will be invited to do a paid editing test before progressing into our paid fit-testing and sandbox process.
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. May the odds be ever in your favor.
When will I hear from a Protean Enterprises agent about my application?
We contact selected applicants to interview and/or join our sandbox fit-testing. We aim to connect with selected candidates for interviewing and/or sandbox fit-testing within 3 to 5 days of their application during open hiring periods.
For applicants not selected for interviewing and/or fit-testing, we aim to let you know ASAP. We cannot give individual feedback. It’s not feasible, realistic, or sustainable. (Yes, we’ve tried it before.)
It’s been 2 weeks, and I haven’t heard anything – what gives?
Our apology for that. Responding to every applicant is a new policy; we aren’t perfect. We’re working on it, so thank you for your patience.
Our general rule is that applicants who don’t hear from us within 2 weeks of an open hiring window have not been selected for interviewing and/or sandbox fit-testing.
Will you keep my application on file for future consideration?
We may keep qualified applications on file for consideration for 90 days. We may reach out to these applicants as we have openings on our team.
Is my application data safe?
We aim to keep personal data secure. We purge all applicant data from our database quarterly unless we have your written consent to keep it on file for longer.